Wednesday 16 December 2020

SLJ Kowhaiwhai

 For most of today, we have been doing the 3rd Summer Learning Journey activity but this is my first one. We got to draw Kowhaiwhai's which are Maori motifs. Each different one is a way to tell a story but I don't really know the story mine tells. It was fun to do even though someone had to colour half of mine cause I'm to slow. (Mines the good half and the first half!) I enjoyed colouring while it lasted and I found it hard to get the patterns even and good. I could have been BTB (Better Than Before) by colouring my half better. Overall I think I did a pretty good job and I'm proud of how amazing it looks.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Bella,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey, it is awesome to see your first post of the summer and I look forward to seeing more as you continue blogging!

    I thought this activity was very interesting as it teaches you about Tānerore who you are able to see often on these hot summer days and about the infamous kowhaiwhai pattern seen throughout Māori culture. Have you seen the kowhaiwhai pattern before maybe at a marae or museum?

    I think your kowhaiwhai is beautiful and very well drawn, you have used both a koru and mangopare pattern and two colors that signify the Māori culture.

    It would be great if you could try and make a story for your pattern about what it represents and means to you, usually kowhaiwhai patterns tell a story about whanau or a place or they symbolise something like strength.

    Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Bella,

    My name is Fiona and I'm from the Summer Learning Journey. I hope you are having a fantastic summer so far!

    There are so many awesome activities to try for this year's Summer Learning Journey! Have you seen any of them? You can check them out here. I think you would really enjoy them!

    Everyone who participates will receive a certificate and a digital badge for their blog and there are some great prizes up for grabs for our most active bloggers. It's also a lot of fun!

    I hope to see more of your awesome blog posts over the summer.

    Mā te wā,
    Fiona (SLJ).

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.